Critical Home Repair Program
A small repair can make a MAJOR difference for local low income homeowners
The goal of the Critical Home Repair (CHR) program is to keep families throughout Thurston County in their homes. The program is designed for low income homeowners who have experienced financial hardships and as a result may find themselves unable to maintain, add or repair critical aspects of their homes. The CHR program provides affordable, critical home repairs to prevent low-income homeowners from being displaced from their residences and improve the quality and health of those homes.
There are three major criteria for selection in our CHR program:
- NEED: The homeowner(s) must be unable to afford and or perform the repairs themselves, the total household income must fall below 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI)
- ABILITY TO PAY: The homeowner(s) must be willing to contribute to a small percentage of the repair costs. Payment is calculated on a sliding scale based on percentage of AMI* Along with a mutually beneficial payment arrangement.
- WILLINGNESS TO PARTNER: Homeowner(s) must provide copies of all required documentation, be honest and cooperative with South Puget Sound Habitat for Humanity (SPSHFH) and complete a minimum of 8 hours of sweat equity.
Qualified applicants must:
- Own and reside in a home that is in need of repairs with in Thurston County
- Have homeowner’s insurance and be current on all mortgage payments and property taxes
- Have a total household income of less than 80% but more than 30% of the median income for Thurston County.
- Be willing to partner with SPSHFH
- Understand that repairs may be completed by SPSHFH’s dedicated volunteers and staff and or other community members or organizations.
Habitat Critical Home Repairs address health and safety concerns (examples include but are not limited to those listed)
- Unsafe or failing flooring
- Lack of heat
- Electrical hazards
- Plumbing hazards
- Unsafe/ Failing roofs
- Wall Repairs (drywall, insulation due to damage)
- New ramps and repairs or additions that address accessibility needs
- Interior/ Exterior work needed to maintain the home
Habitat Critical Home Repairs DO NOT address
- Assisting with the new build of a home or tiny home
- Foundation pouring
- Updating wiring system of an entire home
- Updating plumbing system of a home
- Basic or cosmetic painting
Interested? Download our CHR application here or contact our team with questions at [email protected] or by phone at 360-956-3456 ext 4