The cashier is a volunteer position responsible for the processing and accepting of payments for purchase of items, answering general questions about the store and merchandise, and welcoming and assisting customers. This position answers to the ReStore staff and manager. The cashier must be available to volunteer 2-3 days, or 10-15 hours, each week. This position is ideal for someone retired or otherwise able to make a long term (6+ months) commitment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
• Operate a cash register to document sale of merchandise. Refer to established pricing schedules and office records to verify pricing.
• Process cash, credit card and check transactions, following established procedures for each type of sale.
• Keep up to date on methods of pricing, inventory and procedures.
• Greet customers, answer questions and provide assistance as needed.
• Answer telephone and provide store information, directions, etc. to callers.
• Maintain orderly and clean purchase and showroom areas.
• Apply pricing stickers to merchandise following pricing procedures.
• Direct pricing and operation questions to Store Manager or designated staff.
• Regularly communicate with Store Manger regarding sales issues and problems.
• Recommend new/better methods of completing assigned tasks as needed.
Work is performed in a retail/warehouse environment and requires the ability to operate a cash register and accurately make change.
• Experience working in a retail store environment is ideal
• Have the ability to make change and operate a cash register
• Willing to work closely with staff, and have strong customer service and interpersonal skills
• Able to pass a background check and provide professional references.
• Able to commit to 2-3 days (10-15 hours) per week, for a minimum of 6 months
• The volunteer must be dedicated to the mission of South Puget Sound Habitat for Humanity.
For more information, please contact our volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org